Did you know that there is a way you can impact lives while investing in real estate? Today, we dig deep about making a difference in the lives of the people in the community where you invest with Wild Mountain Capital CEO Sam Sells.
Sam starts by sharing his background, his experience serving in the Air Force as a firefighter, traveling the world and seeing the disparity of healthcare and housing security in other countries, and how he transitioned into real estate investing full-time. Sam shares that seeing the world made him realize that he needs to go back to the U.S. and start helping people and housing is one way he found he can help. Sam also digs deep on how they tap institutional partners to make a difference. Listen and enjoy this valuable episode!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Sam talks about his background in the Air Force, his experience traveling the world and what he learned, and how he got into real estate investing.
- Sam shares how he started his goal of making a difference in real estate by doing impact investing.
- How does Sam look for properties?
- How does Sam turn properties that are 50% occupied into a good investment?
- Sam talks about transitioning from retail investor to institutional money, equity.
- Sam’s superpower: focussing on operations.
- Sam shares they hired someone from the institutional world so that they can yield good returns for their investors.
- What is it like working with institutional partners?
- Why go institutional than grow your own capital raising ability?
- How do you build a relationship so you can start using institutional money in your deal?
- The advantages of hiring somebody who had a lot of pre-existing relationships with institutions like Colliers and CBRE.
- How to build an effective team to help you grow your business?
- Sam gives tips on how to find the right people to work in your team.
- Sam’s predictions in the real estate market over the next six to twelve months.
- How does Sam prepare for a downturn?
- Sam shares they self-manage the properties and that’s one thing that institutions like about working with them.
- The reasons why Sam builds his own property management company.
- The daily habits that helped Sam achieve success.
- How does Sam like to give back?